Wednesday, August 4, 2010

New Obsession – a cheaper option

 

Most of the time my obsessions come in the form of expensive clothing that I cannot afford, collections at Target that make me extremely happy (but rarely ever fit), or indie bands that no one I know has ever heard of. Let’s face it, on a college students budget there are very few luxuries that are with in financial reach, unless you plan on being in major credit card debt after graduation. Because of my constant search for things that are flashy, bold, and unexpected I don’t usually find my obsessions in wallet friendly places.

A while ago I went to great lengths to find an appropriate yet stand-out idea for a manicure (I’ve been known to experiment with crazy nail looks) to compliment my prom dress. Eventually I settled on a  boring pale color as to not take away from my oh so classy dark blue floor length BCBGMax Azria gown (when I say I died for that dress I mean it). But on my quest for the perfect dressed up nail look I came across tons of awesome looks that were affordable (relatively) and fun. Lace, bold glitters, and half moon were all styles that I felt NEEDED to be tried and they all turned out beyond awesome.

The Lace manicure can be a really classy or really edgy look. If paired with a clear or nude base color it goes really well with dressier looks and if you aren’t a very adventurous person with you nails. On the other hand (no pun intended) pairing the lace with a bright color or a metallic can create really interesting texture and contrast that will make people notice. Also, try experimenting with mono-chromatic looks like pairing black lace on shiny black varnish (this look can be achieved by using a high-gloss top coat under the lace), or using a grey, light pink, or white base color with lace of the same color. Also playing with lighter colors might create a softer look and make for a dainty look that could be paired with a more aggressive outfits (leather and lace to a whole new level).

The glitter manicure is best achieved with smaller glitter because it doesn't get as chunky on your nail and you won’t end up with thick nails. also mixing glitter colors or using the glitters over colors instead of clear will add a little pop.

The half moon manicure is a fun one because you can use all kinds of polish since a top coat isn’t necessary. Pairing contrasting colors (like hot pink and black or neon green) can add fun to your tips or using colors that are close to each other (like a dark/navy blue and black, or a white and light grey) can be a subtle way of wearing this look with out feeling like you’ve got candy wrappers on your finger tips. Also you can mix and match metallics and mattes with regular nail polishes as well. If you aren't comfortable with wearing multiple colors, pairing a normal shiny varnishes with the same color in a matte finish adds an interesting texture to your mani.

A look that I’ve always been a fan of is the rhinestone manicure. When I feel like taking on this DIY it’s a long process but it always turns out awesome. Using a base color isn’t necessary (unless you are using disco ball manicureclear stones which have no silver backing) and its better to use top coat or a sticky base coat to adhere the stones. If you get ones in different sizes and/or colors it also makes for a more interesting look. If you aren’t willing to pay for someone to do it for you and don’t feel like undertaking the process of covering all of your nails in rhinestones, then accenting your solid manicure with one stone covered nail (your middle or ring finger is your best bet) it can add a little bling to a boring manicure. White or black with silver or black rhinestones tends to look the coolest. To the left is Katy Perry’s disco ball manicure that she rocked at the MTV Europe Music Awards (silver rhinestones on metallic silver polish)

So here’s the actual obsession – All Lacquered Up! It’s a blog, by a fellow Clevelander might I add, that has the best reviews and tips on nail polish, I even learned how to do an ombre manicure (which looks crazy awesome, I’ve rocked 3 versions recently) from the site. It will make you into a nail polish junky and will have you doling out for 8 buck bottles of lacquer. Being a DIY manicure kinda girl I always thought all nail polishes were created equally, when in actuality they are not. I branched outside of my drugstore nail polish world and now I’m hooked though I’m not sure I’ll ever be willing to dish out 15 bucks for a bottle of designer polish (even though that's probably the only thing by Chanel or Dior I’ll be able to afford for a while).

I hope these inspire you to jazz up your finger tips with some bold looks, its a cheaper way to accessorize and

No comments:

Post a Comment